Follow the John 3:16 Network Author Page on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Author Sheldon D. Newton Shares His Thoughts on Writing



Today we are showcasing a member of the John 3:16 Marketing Network, Sheldon D. Newton. A while back I (Lorilyn) asked Sheldon if I could feature him on the John 3:16 Blog. Today, as more and more people write books and try to market them, his advice is timely. 

Recently, I received an email from someone who had written a book, and if you wanted to claim it as your book, all you had to do was buy the rights to the book. Then you could call yourself an author because you had "written" a book. I suppose a more common term for this is "ghostwriting." 

Are people really that desperate to call themselves an author? Considering how difficult it is to make money selling books, I don't know why anyone would go to such lengths to put their name on the front of a book cover. Nevertheless, it's good to be reminded of why we write and if we really have something to say. Writing books is not easy.  I believe the calling should come first.  

Enjoy Sheldon D. Newton's comments and share with your friends. He has great advice in this short memoir.

*~*~*~*


To date, I (Sheldon) have written ten books.

When people hear that, they look amazed and wonder how I was able to accomplish such a feat. I am a family man, a pastor, work at times as a Sales Executive for a leading Newspaper Company, travel to teach the Bible and still find time to write. How, one may ask? The answer is simple. When something means something to you, when it is important to you, when you are passionate and feel strongly within about it, you will make time for it.

I love writing. I started writing from I was a teenager. Of course, I wrote in school, doing school work, and at home doing homework. But, when I became a teenager, I started writing using a yellow note pad. (I still do at times, by the way). I wrote based upon what I was doing at the moment, which for me was studying the Holy Bible, God’s Word.

As I read from Matthew through Revelation, I would write down things I came to understand. As a matter of fact, when I began writing, things would just start flowing. I would write page after page from one passage of Scripture. The more I read, the more I wrote. It was exhilarating. It was thrilling. It was exciting.

As time went on, I began to date a wonderful and beautiful young lady who has since become my wife. I wrote her a booklet on my plans for the future, I mean in detail. She still has it after twenty three years of marriage, and at times reminds me of what I promised her I would do for her. (Maybe I shouldn’t have written it down for now I cannot deny that I said it).

Then came the time when I decided to write my first book. Now let me be honest with you when I let you know that writing a book, while to me is exciting, has also proven to be work. Indeed, I have had to develop the habit of thinking things through and stating things in the clearest manner possible so that the reader can comprehend what I mean by what I write in the context that I write it.

So, I wrote a book dealing with the importance of unity. I ensured that I had my reference points and that I knew my subject. And this brings me to my first point about writing: Ensure that you know what you are writing about.

Do not just write a book to write a book. I know that many people are doing that these days. But if you determine to be a writer, I mean, someone who speaks through the pen (or the computer), ensure that you write something of quality, something that can make a difference and have an impact upon the lives of those who may read it.

Do you best. Do your homework regarding your subject matter. Make sure you know what you are speaking about. Words written and sent to the world should make a difference. So write something which matters and for which you have passion and focus.

Hope this encourages you.

*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment