Follow the John 3:16 Network Author Page on Pinterest

Friday, May 16, 2014

A Taste of Night Stories by Kimberley Payne

NIGHT STORIES – A DEVOTIONAL ABOUT DREAMS

KIMBERLEY PAYNE


I’m a dreamer. Every night, I have at least one dream. Over the years, I have read dream interpretation books and dream dictionaries. However, none captured the true essence of my nightlife until I started to read the Bible and pray daily. Now many of my dreams come with an interpretation already in my heart upon waking in the morning.
The Bible is full of dreams. In the Old Testament, we can read of Jacob’s, Joseph’s, and Daniel’s dreams along with their interpretations (Genesis 28:11, Genesis 37-41, Daniel 2).We can read in the New Testament about Mary’s husband, Joseph’s dreams and Paul’s visions in the night. (Matthew 1:20, Acts 16:9).
I want to share with you eight of my dreams that I have had and what I felt the Lord told me through them. God is the only One who reveals mysteries and interprets dreams.



Dream One – Armed with strength
In this first dream, I took my young son to the doctor’s office in the evening. The darkness outdoors contrasted the well-lit office. After the appointment, we walked to the parking lot and I glimpsed a mother coming out of her townhouse onto the back deck. A dark haired boy cowered in the corner of the deck as she approached him. She shouted and waved a half-empty bottle of alcohol at the young child. This scene upset me and I decided to say something in defense of the boy.
I yelled, “Hey lady, leave him alone!”
At that, she stopped and turned her foul mouth on me. Her anger, that a stranger had the nerve to tell her how to raise her kid, came through in curses and profanity. However, as she yelled obscenities at me, I felt my arms rising at my sides, palms up. A light from somewhere behind me, beamed across the parking lot and shone onto her deck. She stood still, silenced. Although I didn’t talk we were communicating. She softened. When my arms gently came down, the light behind me dimmed and night stars appeared again.
I whispered, “He loves you,” and walked to my car.
God had used me as a vessel to communicate with this woman. For many years she had been an abusive alcoholic but when God spoke to her she changed dramatically. I didn’t do anything – God did everything through me.
Upon waking, I felt an awesome power. God told me in my spirit that if I approach someone head on, in my own strength, to change them I will receive a verbal lashing and maybe even worse. However, if I do not ignore a bad situation and approach someone in His strength, He will do the rest.
I felt God telling us that we should not ignore the injustices that are going on around us. However, we are also not to take on these same injustices in our own strength or by our own power. Finally, God can and will change people -- even those who seem unchangeable. His Holy Spirit will do the changing.
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect (2 Samuel 22:33 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring me and my devotional book on dreams! May God speak to you in visions and dreams.

    ReplyDelete